Thursday, June 21, 2007

Where does the money go?

OK I am making a new goal for myself…TO actually start saving! I am going to have to after looking over how much this wedding is going to cost. I do not have any idea how I am unable to save? I have no idea how I am unable to put any amount of money away in fact I always seem to be paycheck to paycheck. I do not have a huge shopping addiction or love for coach bags or shoes. In fact my fiancĂ© many times says I am quite cheap in the clothing department. I prefer buying clothes from Marshall’s and Target than Nordstrom’s or Abercrombie. I cannot fathom purchasing a pair of jeans for 300 dollars just because it has a huge seven plastered across the ass.
Actually I know what my problem is, going out and cigarettes oh and I have also been trying to put money away for my retirement. Plus I just don’t budget well, I have every intention of putting it away and what not but then bam I somehow think going to Wal-Mart and buying 60 dollars worth of crap for the house is ok.
The most annoying part about this is that S. has already banked away something like 2500 dollars in two or three months! What the fuck, how is this possible. Technically on paper I make more than him but in reality I think not. He works as a chef and does a lot of catering so he gets tips on top of the paycheck, plus add in fewer bills. I find that this annoys me. Why, I do not know? I still for some reason feel weird asking for money for the wedding, the rent, etc. I have always stood my own ground (sometimes in the red) but at the same time I have no problem having him pay for us every time we go out. Do not get me wrong I definitely do pay for us when we go out sometimes (I say about 55-45%) but somehow he is able to save. Well I have made steps to go forward in this direction. They are as follow:

1. Took lower interest loan from credit union to pay off credit card bills and set up automatic payment so it should be paid off in less than 6-7 months.
2. Took credit card bills out of purse and away so I will not use them for stupid purchases like extra shampoo, makeup, or another round of drinks for people I don’t even know.
3. Applied for a community college teaching position at night to make extra money (keep your fingers crossed that I get it).
4. Set up a budget to allocate out spending money so that I do not go over it (hmmm maybe the debit card should stay at home as well and I will only carry cash allotted).

So far that is what I have done….hmmm hopefully this will pan out so I can look like a respectable female professional who can contribute to a grown up relationship (yeah right).

No comments: