Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Curse of the bartender

I have aquired a great skill over the years due to working as a bartender for years. It is the ability to hear numerous conversations at once. During graduate school I bartended at numerous restuarants and bars and over time you learn to listen more carefully to the customers and hone in on 5 different customers at once. Most importantly this was used so you can interact with a drunk person on a intimate level and that meant more drinks and tips. People want to feel that even strangers care about them and their lives.

Yet this skill I have aquired makes it very difficult at work to concentrate. Example my crazy, pathetic, pubic hair chest, mid life crisis coworker is going through an on and off divorce. (He cheated on her for years because she got fat, nice guy huh?) So I constantly hear his conversations with his ex wife and his lawyers. Then I can hear my boss repromanding a hourly worker for being late the 5th time in the last two months. I overhear the ladies talking shit about some other lady who happens to be 10 pounds lighter.

I guess what sucks about this skill is that over time it just makes me realize how shitty people truley are. Do not get me wrong I am no saint but seriously I thought as we got oldr the whole "talking behind someone's back" would become less and less aparent. Errr apparently it is just replaced with "being civil". How is it we cna rationalize talking shit and being overall horrible and say we are just being professional?

I think that is one of the things I hate about corporate world. Everyone is fake...I have always been the type of person to let you know how I feel about you. If I don't like you I do not become some dramatic bitch I just won't go out of my way to be friends with you. I would want the same thing but in corporate world it is all about politics..or is it soothing everyone's ego?

Is all this ego soothing equivalent how schools are giving ribbons to everyone at school instead of the winner? What is happening to people? I am thinking to deeply before a 4 day vacation! Everyone pray my work will let us out early!!

Have a Happy Thankgiving Everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it but it is not just corporate jobs. Every job I have had has instances of backbiting and bitching. I think most people have trouble letting go of childhood (or is it childish) habits. Best you can do is just be the bigger person. This is too deep for me. It's almost five and I'm still at work. Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgivingv!!! and i feel you about the Corporate Setting...you just have to block them out! Go to work, Make the money and Go Home. Ah being an adult fucking SUCKS!!! [and I'm only 23]

sophie n said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sophie n said...

lol...

i know i saw it a few days ago but didn't have a chance to do it yet...

will do later tonight...promise...

hope you have a GREAT thanksgiving with good food, family and friends!!

soph

Valley Girl said...

Ugh, I so know what you mean. There were two ladies in my office, one of whom had the office next to mine. Every damn day, she and this other woman would have a sh*t-talking fest about almost everyone in our office for the first 30 minutes of their day. It made me so irritated. I finally had to move to a cube every time they did it to maintain my sanity.

Alison said...

haha I used to bartend when I was in college and developed the great talent of being able to completely ignore the people at the bar who annoyed the shit out of me. I miss bartending sometimes...money was so easy!